Yesterday I decided to give another push to the Starship – this time I started on the engine data display. Luckily I had a nice clear photo of the real display, so it was fairly easy to get something that looks like the original.
Here is how it looks in FSX:
Here is the real thing:
I forgot to turn on the BRIGHT property on the elements, so it can look a little dark if the sun shines on it wrong (It does have lightmapping in the VC though, so at least if you hit the instrument lights at night you get the bright display).
All in all, it took me about five hours to do this. Most of the time was spent on drawing those multi-coloured arcs, and working out the pixel positions for the nonlinearity tables. Instead of doing the XML in notepad as I usually do, I used the Visual Studio editor, which highlights the XML tags and lets you fold away nodes. That saved a lot of time.
I still need to put the warning captions and status messages into the top-right corner of the display. I have not yet worked out what those are yet, so that bit will stay black until then.