Wow, it has been a crazy couple of weeks. We are finally at a state where the house is just needing a couple of tweaks.
We have done a ton of DIY work. We painted two rooms (the study went from dark green to yellow – that took four coats of paint!), replaced locks, replaced lighting fixtures, removed a carpet, added a gas line in the kitchen (we had a professional do this, for obvious reasons), changed the sink in the garage, put up shelves and pictures, and of course unpacked the many, many boxes of stuff we brought. Oh, and I put a blackboard on a door (Ilda has always wanted one).
The most interesting part of the whole experience has been that we decided to do most of the work (including assembling furniture) ourselves. With the help of YouTube and some web searches, we managed to do everything without screwing up anywhere. And of course, we saved a ton of money that way. For example, we called in a locksmith one day because we locked ourselves out of the bathroom one day (we didn’t have the key). The guy charged us $201 for about 15 minutes of work. I decided to prevent this from happening in the future, we would replace the locks on both bathrooms (and add a lock to the door between the garage and kitchen, which had none), so off we went to Home Depot, picked up the three locks for about $60 (and a chisel for $15), and spent the rest of the evening putting them in. It took a lot of sweating, grunting and swearing, but it got done. I shudder to think how much a locksmith would have charged for that.
We don’t have a good set of pictures of the place yet, but it is definitely feeling like home. The most complete rooms are the kitchen and master bedroom, and now that the couch arrived, the living room. The study still needs some polish, and so does the guest bedroom. The garage is full to the gills with empty boxes and paper (I am parking outside). We have discovered a big recycling dumpster at Crossroads Mall, which we will be making use of to get rid of that stuff. The final hurdle is the new hutch for the bunnies, which I am currently designing. It will be the same basic design as the one we used in Cape Town, but roomier and more airy.
Now that I have a proper place to relax, I will be getting back to the usual hobby stuff. I am working on two new FS tools which are interesting (one for FSDS, the other general purpose), and during the move I was working with the Eaglesoft guys to get their new Citation X for FSX out to beta – I will be blogging about those things very soon.