- I usually like airline food, but United does not give you a great food experience. And $6 for a beer? Come on…
- United aircraft were quite nice – 757-200 with winglets to KORD, then 767-300 to EGLL.
- Best thing about United – the soundtrack to the moving map thing is the comms radio used by the pilots. We were in the hold for a while, but begin able to hear what was going on made the time fly by.
- Heathrow Terminal 5 is pretty impressive – new, nicely laid out, very pleasant architecture. I take back 20% of the bad things I’ve said about the airport in the past😉
- Google maps, you have a bug in your algorithm to give directions. If you explicitly give me walking directions, then please ignore one-way roads. You have me walking about twice the distance needed to get to the hotel.
- Now that I have dollars, London does not seem so freakishly expensive. Wedge of Port Salut, bread, bacon, mince pies and cokes cost me $15.
- The underground is freakishly expensive compared to King metro. Cheapest fare is $7 for a return trip in Zone 1.
- Proper back bacon, free of fat, how I missed you. You are so yummy. How I enjoyed frying you up with some eggs just after I arrived.
- Mince pies! Now that’s xmas. I will be taking some back (although you can probably find them in the cost plus world market).
- There is a churreria just up the street from the hotel.
- There are a LOT of people here. A LOT. At all times of day or night. Seattle is not exactly a sleepy village, but even compared to downtown on Black Friday, this is just crazy.
- I am constantly walking on the wrong side of pavements, staircases, etc. Drive on the left, walk on the left.
- British TV is so awesomely crap – FIVE shopping QVC style channels, tons of bad reality programs (the one where they buy a house, the one where they run a B&B, the local Apprentice, the local Ricky Lake equivalent). Only a little american TV, which makes for interesting viewing.
- The ceiling above the bed is seriously low. Lying down, I can lay my palms flat on it.
- The weather is cold, but not too bad (a little above freezing). It snowed a little, but only enough to make Assange’s appearance outside the dock dramatic. No accumulation at all downtown.
London trip Brain Dump, part 1
December 17, 2010 by davenunez